New York Fashion Week Fall 2012: Some Overviews

  • 1

10 Crosby Derek Lam
Overview: This collection by 10 Crosby Derek Lam was defined by the constant layering. There was layering of skirts over skirts, skirts over pants, shirts over shirts, and more layers piled on. The other things that showed up consistently throughout the collection are fur and wide leg trousers.
Opinion: A good collection, but I personally find all the layers slightly impractical. I mean, what happens if you have 2 skirts and tights on and you have to go to the bathroom? Again, it’s impractical.

3.1 Phillip Lim
Overview: The Fall 2012 collection by 3.1 Phillip Lim was all sporty. Straight leg pants with racing stripes up the sides and the impeccably tailored jackets were just a few of the highlights of this collection. Sheer material was used frequently, but in a classy manner, much unlike many other designs from other collections this season. The heavy knits, pencil skirts, and shift dresses were more highlights.
Opinion: An amazing collection showcasing all of Phillip Lim’s talents. I am a sucker for the current trend of sporty details and of course for beautifully tailored pieces of clothing.

A Detacher
Overview: The colors dominated the A Detacher show, with a bold orange-red and a neon pink. Large patterns were used in every which way. High-waisted pants and skirts found their way into the show too. A huge statement was made with the layering of multiple shirts and also of skirts over pants.
Opinion: Personally, I am not much of an orange fan, so I was sort of turned off of the show right away. I must say that I really admire the artistry in the designs, as well as the designer’s fantastic abilities to mix patterns without it looking like a jumbled mess.

Alexander Wang
Overview: There was no single standout in the Alexander Wang Fall 2012 collection. Of course the structured jackets tailored to perfection made me wish I were actually at the show. Alexander Wang showed his “sporty side” with exposed zippers, mesh fabric and his puffy coats. Yet, just as in all his other shows, there was that luxurious feel. Where did the luxury step in? I think the luxury was in the long gloves, shirring, and his more black and white based color scheme.
Opinion: An amazing collection. Enough said.

Alexandre Herchovitch
Overview: My favorite thing about this collection was the shiny gold material used. I thought it was so amazing. Other positives of this collection were the jackets, the lace used, and the higher necklines.
Opinion: A pretty collection, and the fabric (including the lace) was absolutely stunning.

Alice + Olivia
Overview: For me, the strong color choices ran the show for Alice + Olivia’s Fall 2012 collection. All the looks had such an air of sophistication about them. Looking into that, the things that stood out to me the most were the trousers, the open backs on the gowns, the use of horizontal stripes and the peplum skirts. Going back to the horizontal stripes for a second, everyone seems so scared of horizontal stripes in the fashion world, but this collection made them so flattering. Another few things I really appreciated in the collection were the peasant sleeves, high-waisted pants, mini-skirts, fur and of course, the berets.
Opinion: One of my favorite collections. I have always been partial to Alice + Olivia because they are young and fresh without seeming childish. I have always leaned towards more sophisticated clothing, so Alice + Olivia offers exactly what I need without making me seem old. After all, I am just a teen!

Altuzarra
Overview: The Altuzarra collection had a lot going on, but it actually worked. Fur, bold graphic patterns, structured jackets, slouchy pants and fringe aren’t things you would expect to go together. Yet, it worked. In addition, there were heavy knits, knee high boots and skirts over pants. And the skirts- every kind of skirt imaginable was in the Altuzarra show. High-waisted skirts, pencil skirts, large-pleated skirts, and small-pleated skirts. You name it, it was there.
Opinion: I was so so so impressed by the Altuzarra show. SO impressed. Seeing all the different styles and types of clothing made me think it was going to be a train wreck, but it wasn’t. In fact, this show looked so well put together and thought through so much. There was not a single look that seemed like it did not belong.

Anna Sui
Overview: The Anna Sui Collection had much brighter colors than I had been used to seeing.. It was great! All the colors of the rainbow were present: greens, blues, yellows, reds, pinks and purples. This collection had incredibly luxurious fabrics, such as velvets, furs, silks and laces. Peter Pan collars, peasant sleeves were found on a lot of shirts. As for skirts, there were pencil skirts, mini-skirts, and knee-length skirts. Shift coats and capes were in the collection frequently also. As for accessories, in nearly every outfit there were colored tights and big necklaces. My favorite trend in the whole collection was the shorts over tights!
Opinion: I love this collection so so so so so so much. I love it with all my heart. I love it because it embodies all of my favorite things in fashion. I love preppy details, but I also love looking sophisticated. On top of everything, I LOVE COLOR!

Araks
Overview: A very simple collection this season by Araks. By simple, I mean based off the basics, not simple as if it was something you could find everywhere else. The collection had a lot of small pleats, trousers and blazers. Among others, there were also high-low hems in dresses and furs.
Opinion: I thought it was a very good collection with a lot of nice pieces. Personally, I would pair most pieces with a piece that was a little “louder” per se. Otherwise though, I thought it was a great collection.

1 comment:

Comment away! I want to hear YOUR opinions.