CONFIDENCE

  • 0

Confidence. It is defined as belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities but it is seen by most as a trait to be desired. Everyone has had issues with confidence at some point, and it is especially common in teenagers. I won't lecture you and pour a bunch of statistics onto the page, but I will tell you my experiences with confidence or rather, lack of. 
When I was in sixth grade, fitting in meant everything to me. I sacrificed my great relationships with my friends just so I could think I was "cool". I look back on that with regret because I lacked all confidence to stand out and be myself. I conformed to the standards that middle school society had set for me and lost all sense of self. In seventh grade I began building up my self-confidence again. A lot of what contributed to that was taking classes at FIT for the first time and gaining new relationships. It was then that I realized how much I wanted to be in fashion and that there were other girls out there who were in the same position as me- in middle school and trying to develop their own personal style. I got even more confident with style in eighth grade, but I would still worry about what people would think every time I put on a more daring outfit.
Cue the entrance into high school. With no dress code and more people who are interested in fashion just like me, I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I am still developing my own style, but I have become much more secure in myself. Now, that’s not to say I am fully confident and I wear whatever I please all the time. I still have those days where I worry about what people think of my outfit or how I look or if I look like a slob. Everyone has those days occasionally, the goal with confidence is to get out of having those days frequently.
Maybe you didn't get anything out of this, but if you do, I hope it is this: Confidence will come and go, but confidence isn't how you appear to others, it's about how you feel about yourself. Always trust your gut when it comes to fashion or anything you love and don't let other people make decisions for you. Be unique. Be daring. Be confident. Above all, be you.

Yours in Fashion Confidence,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away! I want to hear YOUR opinions.