Setting Yourself Up For a Future In Fashion: It It Really That Hard?

  • 0
There isn’t any definite way to set up a solid future in fashion, but it can’t hurt to try! Through my experiences, I am sharing my “To Do” list to make my future as definite as it can be.

1    Make a list of connections.

It may sound like a trivial task, but by talking about your desire to work in fashion with everyone you can dig up some good connections in the industry. The fact of the matter is, when you need to get your first internship or job, these connections are going to help you a lot. When you find out that your cousin’s friend is the CEO of some brand or company, write it down. Seriously, write it down immediately. Asking that cousin to ask their friend if they would meet with you might be an intimidating experience, but without that connection, would you have the chance to talk to that person at all? Probably not.

I have a document on my Google Drive that is shared with both my parents, so if anyone of us learns of a connection, we can write it down and all the references are compiled in one place. I would suggest writing down whom you know personally, what their relationship is with the contact and the contact’s name and job. For example:

Connections:
-Joe Smith (cousin) friend is Gloria Smith- CEO of MadeUp Brand

2    Talk To Everyone

Whenever you get the chance, talk to people. This is the key to Item 1 above:meeting new people and making contacts. If you are able to go to an event at Fashion Week, or a conference, or any place where there are people who work in fashion, you have to talk. Introduce yourself, make conversation, and give them a reason to remember you. Personally, I know that it can be scary, especially as a teenager, trying to talk to adults and get them to talk to you as a professional, not as a child.

Important: Try to have a brief ‘speech’ prepped about the one thing about you that will help people remember you. For me, it’s my blog and the experiences I have gotten from having a blog, like going to Fashion Week. Once you figure yours out, it makes starting and holding a conversation a lot easier.

   Take Advantage of Opportunities

Adults always tell teenagers to take advantage of the opportunities given to them. In all honesty, it’s good advice, although it pains me to admit that.

If you get the opportunity to listen to a speaker from the fashion industry, make sure you introduce yourself. If you can’t introduce yourself after they speak, try to get their contact information to thank them for speaking and let them know that you learned something from them.

If you take classes about fashion, whether it’s at a university or at your high school, keep in touch with your professors. They have a lot of knowledge and possible industry contacts that may come in handy for getting that first job.

There are so many possible opportunities that may come your way, but let me just say this: be prepared so that if you end up in an elevator with Anna Wintour, don’t let her leave without knowing who you are and having your contact information.

4    Write your Resume

Even if you  have job/internship experience, making a resume can be a daunting task. First, your resume should have a simple, organized design. Don’t pull an Elle Woods with pink scented paper; it won’t actually work to get you that internship (and most are submitted by email now anyway).

Second, all resumes should have your basic contact information, which would be a phone number, email address and home address.  Most resumes have different sections to categorize the information being given. Mine, for example, has Education, Experience, Activities and Skills.

Under the Education section, I listed my high school, graduating year and current GPA, as well as all the precollege classes I have taken at FIT.

Under the Experience section, I listed my internship and what I did for the company I worked for, the shows I have covered at New York Fashion Week, my blog and the tasks required in the production of my blog.

Under the Activities section, I wrote down the clubs and sports teams I am a part of, and how long I have been involved in each. Tip: If you don’t have a lot of job experience, focus on this section. Group sports and clubs can show dedication, teamwork and other important skills that employers look for in the workplace.

Under the Skills section, I listed the different computer software  I am proficient in (Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Photoshop, InDesign…), and the character traits I have that I feel will be most translatable into the workplace.


Basically…

            I wanted to share this with all of you, because as teenagers, it can be really hard trying to get internships or get noticed. Hopefully these tips will help you out in some way! Let me know if there is anything else you have done to set yourself up for a future in fashion.

xx,

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment away! I want to hear YOUR opinions.